Things to Consider After a Death

Call: 0113 210 7998


When someone has passed away, there will be a number of matters that will require immediate attention.

You will need to contact the following organisations institutions:

  • Banks and Financial Institutions - cancel cards banks and building societies.   Accounts need to be closed and any joint accounts amended
  • Car Insurance - documentation will have to be changed as you are not legally insured to drive if the policy is in the deceased’s name
  • Department for Work and Pensions DWP - Form 344/BD8 is a white certificate provided by the Registrar of Deaths and needs to be completed to cancel any direct payments into a bank account
  • Employer, Professional Association and Trade Unions
  • GP, Medical Centre and/or Hospital - any outstanding appointments should be cancelled
  • Inland Revenue and Social Security
  • Investments and Insurance Policies - Premium Bonds are not transferable. The post office will issue you with a form that needs to be sent to the Bonds and Stocks Office. For further advice we suggest that you consult a Financial Advisor or Accountant
  • Local Council - cancel any housing/rate benefits and council tax
  • Post Office - arrange redirection of mail, a small charge may be applied
  • Social Services - ie. district nurse, home care, meals on wheels etc. If there is equipment belonging to either of these, it must be returned
  • Solicitor or formal legal representative
  • Store Cards - loyalty, charge and credit need to be cancelled
  • Utility Companies - gas, electric, water, telephone and satellite/cable companies – cancel accounts

Items you may need to cancel:

  • Appointments
  • Chiropodist
  • Dentist
  • Eye specialist
  • Hairdresser or barber
  • Home care
  • Home help
  • Lottery ticket
  • Meals on wheels
  • Mobility bus
  • Milk
  • Newspapers

Items to be returned:

  • Passport – you should return the passport to: The Passport Office, UK Passport Agency, 5th Floor, India Building, Water Street, Liverpool
  • Driving License – you should return the driving licence to: DVLA, Swansea
  • SA99 1 AB vehicle registration documents – to change name of ownership
  • Car insurance – to change the policy holder’s name or a refund may be issued
  • Television license – to change name or a refund may be issued
  • Season tickets and club memberships cards – a refund may be issued
  • Library books and card
  • National Insurance papers
  • Hospital or medical equipment - crutches, hospital bed, wheelchair, walking stick or walking frame

If the house is empty:

Make sure all windows and doors are locked and secure and if there are any cat/door flaps make sure they are secured also. In winter leave some heating on, as this will prevent pipes from freezing. After clearing out the fridge and cleaning it, make sure that the fridge door is left ajar.

Any pets will need to be fed and re-homed and household plants may need to be tended to.

It may be advisable to let a trusted neighbour have a key to remove any free newspapers and post to stop them building up. Blinds or curtains may be adjusted every couple of days, hence giving an appearance of the house being occupied. Security timers can be purchased online or from most hardware shops; these can be used to automatically switch on a lamp or light at certain times.

Hugh Gooding Funeral Services Limited trading as Gooding Funeral Services, is an appointed representative of Golden Charter Limited trading as Golden Charter Funeral Plans, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FRN:965279).

Trade Associations

Site maintained by Expression 37 Ltd.