All data subjects whose personal data is collected, in line with the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation.
2.1 Gooding Funeral Services is responsible for ensuring that this notice is made available to data subjects prior to collecting/processing their personal data.
2.2 All Employees of Gooding Funeral Services who interact with data subjects are responsible for ensuring that this notice is drawn to the data subject’s attention and their consent to the processing of their data is secured.
3. Privacy notice
3.1 Who are we?
Gooding Funeral Services an independent, family funeral firm of funeral directors, offering a range of pre-need, at need and post need funeral and memorial services, to individuals throughout Leeds and across West Yorkshire.
Address: Gooding House 2a Newton Road, Potternewton, Leeds LS7 4HE
Company Number: 08869946
Gooding Funeral Services is a trade name of Hugh Gooding Funeral Services Limited
The personal data we would like to process on you is:
Personal Data Type:
Religion, place of worship and/or minister of religion
The personal data we collect will be used for the following purposes:
- Funeral finance applications
- Funeral and/or memorial service fulfilment
- Funeral repatriation fulfilment
- End of life planning and funeral plan fulfilment
- Memorial masonry fulfilment
- Memorial keepsake - personalisation and fulfilment
- Storage of cremated remains
- Grave ownership
- To inform you of information, products, services or events, which we believe will be of interest to you
- Seasonal/religious/festive cards or similar communications
Our legal basis for processing for the personal data:
- Fulfilment of a contract
- Completion of an application for funeral finance
- Payment processing and collection
- Communications with legal, insurance, banks and financial professionals or other representatives of an estate
Any legitimate interests pursued by us, or third parties we use, are as follows:
- Pre-paid funeral planning
- End of life planning, wills and probate
- Funeral repatriation
- Bereavement services
- Memorial masonry
- Debt collection
The special categories of personal data concerned are:
- Contact details
- Religious beliefs
By consenting to this privacy notice you are giving us permission to process your personal data specifically for the purposes identified.
Consent is required for Gooding Funeral Services to process both types of personal data, but it must be explicitly given. Where we are asking you for sensitive personal data we will always tell you why and how the information will be used.
You may withdraw consent at any time by contacting us to update your preferences.
Gooding Funeral Services will not pass on your personal data to third parties without first obtaining your consent. The following third parties may receive your personal data for the following purpose(s):
- A council, local authority or crematorium for the purpose of organising cremation of the deceased
- A council, local authority, church or cemetery for the purpose of organising burial of the deceased
- A minister of religion or nominated celebrant for the purpose of arranging details of the funeral or memorial service
- A musician(s) for the purpose of liaising with you for your musical choices for the funeral or memorial service
- A florist for the purpose of delivery of floral tributes for the funeral or memorial service
- A memorial mason for the purpose of removing and/or upgrading and replacing an existing monument or the creation new memorial
- A private autopsy provider for the purpose of organising a faster and non-invasive alternative to Coroner services
- An airline, road, rail or sea transport carrier, for the purpose of organizing the domestic or international repatriation of a deceased person or for the transportation of ashes
- A consulate or embassy for the purpose of arranging international funeral repatriation
- A finance provider or company for the purpose of arranging funeral financing
- A legal, financial (bank or insurance company) or other representative or manager of the decedent’s estate
- A funeral plan provider for the purpose of organising a funeral plan
- A bereavement counsellor(s) or similar service, for the purpose of arranging bereavement help or advice
- County Court Business Centre or debt collection agency for the retrieval of debt
- Department of Work and Pensions or HM Revenue and Customs for matters concerning state benefits, pensions or taxation
3.4 Retention period
Gooding Funeral Services will process personal data for one year. For ongoing business engagement such as, large or specialist memorial masonry projects, storage of cremated remains, pre-paid funeral plans or for the collection of debt, the processing of personal data may extend beyond one year. Where there is a legal requirement, such as for the purposes of HM Revenue and Customs, the company will store the personal data for no less than seven years.
3.5 Your rights as a data subject
At any point while we are in possession of or processing your personal data, you, the data subject, have the following rights:
- Right of access – you have the right to request a copy of the information that we hold about you.
- Right of rectification – you have a right to correct data that we hold about you that is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Right to be forgotten – in certain circumstances you can ask for the data we hold about you to be erased from our records.
- Right to restriction of processing – where certain conditions apply to have a right to restrict the processing.
- Right of portability – you have the right to have the data we hold about you transferred to another organisation.
- Right to object – you have the right to object to certain types of processing such as direct marketing.
- Right to object to automated processing, including profiling – you also have the right to be subject to the legal effects of automated processing or profiling.
- Right to judicial review: in the event that Gooding Funeral Services refuses your request under rights of access, we will provide you with a reason as to why. You have the right to complain as outlined in clause 3.6 below.
All of the above requests will be forwarded on should there be a third party involved (as stated in 3.3 above) in the processing of your personal data.
In the event that you wish to make a complaint about how your personal data is being processed by Gooding Funeral Services (or third parties as described in 3.3 above), or how your complaint has been handled, you have the right to lodge a complaint directly with the supervisory authority and Gooding Funeral Services.
The details for each of these contacts are:
Supervisory authority contact details
Gooding Funeral Servicescontact details
Information Commissioner’s Office
Data Protection Officer
Address line 1:
Address line 2:
2a Newton Road
Address line 3:
Address line 4:
Address line 5:
0303 123 1113
0113 210 7998
3.7 Privacy statement
Read more about how and why we use your data on our website: goodingfuneralservices.co.uk
Online privacy statement
Under the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) personal data is defined as:
“any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person ('data subject'); an identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person”.
How we use your information
This privacy notice tells you how we, Gooding Funeral Services, will collect and use your personal data for provision of services, cookies, complaints etc.
Why does Gooding Funeral Services need to collect and store personal data?
In order for us to provide you with funeral finance, funeral/memorial/repatriation services, a pre-paid funeral plan, memorial masonry, floral tributes, a personalised memorial keepsake, bereavement advice, information or to observe a religious festival etc., we need to collect personal data for fulfilment of the contract and any related correspondence. In any event, we are committed to ensuring that the information we collect and use is appropriate for this purpose, and does not constitute an invasion of your privacy.
In terms of being contacted for marketing purposes Gooding Funeral Services would contact you for separate consent.
Will Gooding Funeral Services share my personal data with anyone else?
We may pass your personal data on to third-party service providers contracted to Gooding Funeral Services in the course of dealing with you. Any third parties that we may share your data with are obliged to keep your details securely, and to use them only to fulfil the service they provide on behalf of Gooding Funeral Services When they no longer need your data to fulfil this service, they will dispose of the details in line with Gooding Funeral Services’ procedures. If we wish to pass your sensitive personal data onto a third party we will only do so once we have obtained your consent, unless we are legally required to do otherwise.
How will Gooding Funeral Services use the personal data it collects about me?
Gooding Funeral Services will process (collect, store and use) the information you provide in a manner compatible with the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). We will endeavour to keep your information accurate and up to date, and not keep it for longer than is necessary. Gooding Funeral Services is required to retain information in accordance with the law, such as information needed for income tax and audit purposes. How long certain kinds of personal data should be kept may also be governed by specific business-sector requirements and agreed practices. Personal data may be held in addition to these periods depending on individual business needs.
Under what circumstances will Gooding Funeral Services contact me?
Our aim is not to be intrusive, and we undertake not to ask irrelevant or unnecessary questions. Moreover, the information you provide will be subject to rigorous measures and procedures to minimise the risk of unauthorised access or disclosure.
Can I find out the personal data that Gooding Funeral Services holds about me?
Gooding Funeral Services at your request, can confirm what information we hold about you and how it is processed. If Gooding Funeral Services does hold personal data about you, you can request the following information:
- Identity and the contact details of the person or organisation that has determined how and why to process your data. In some cases, this will be a representative in the EU.
- Contact details of the data protection officer, where applicable.
- The purpose of the processing as well as the legal basis for processing.
- If the processing is based on the legitimate interests of Gooding Funeral Services or a third party, information about those interests.
- The categories of personal data collected, stored and processed.
- Recipient(s) or categories of recipients that the data is/will be disclosed to.
- How long the data will be stored.
- Details of your rights to correct, erase, restrict or object to such processing.
- Information about your right to withdraw consent at any time.
- How to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority.
- Whether the provision of personal data is a statutory or contractual requirement, or a requirement necessary to enter into a contract, as well as whether you are obliged to provide the personal data and the possible consequences of failing to provide such data.
- The source of personal data if it wasn’t collected directly from you.
- Any details and information of automated decision making, such as profiling, and any meaningful information about the logic involved, as well as the significance and expected consequences of such processing.